"Because life is good, home cooking is best, and there is always something to be grateful for." - Christy Jordan

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Better-Than-Crack" Brownies: What a name!

I know what you're thinking, and yes, they're really called "Better-Than-Crack" brownies. If this name offends you, then feel free to change it to something like "Better-than-fitting-into-a-smaller-dress-size" brownies, or maybe "Better-than-a-tall-glass-of-wine-after-a-hard-day" brownies. Whatever floats your boat :)


This recipe has been on my mind for a while now. I first saw it over at How Sweet It Is, another one of my favorite food blogs. I love this blog because she her writing is genius. She's totally sarcastic (like me) and loves desserts (like me). Now I have FINALLY made them and they completely live up to their name. YOU WILL NOT REGRET MAKING THESE!

These brownies are filled with layers and layers of yumminess. I just know that when you look at them you're going to think to yourself, "Uh there's no way I can eat one of those. There are too many calories." Here's a little life tip from me: YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE. Who cares about calories? One little square of these sinful treats will have you forgetting what a calorie is... guaranteed! Plus, my birthday is coming up this weekend (Superbowl Sunday) and I just figured that if I can't have a sinful treat on my birthday, then when can I do it? Am I right? I thought so. Thanks for agreeing with me :)


If you love peanut butter, you will LOVE these. If you love peanut butter and chocolate together, you will ADORE these. I didn't have the Reese's peanut butter cups on hand and in this weather I was not about to make a trip to the store, so I made some changes. I'll post the original recipe. Okay, enough talking. Let's get to the baking!


"Better-Than-Crack" Brownies

1 batch of brownies (boxed or homemade)
1/2 c. salted peanuts
1 c. chopped Reese's peanut butter cups, chopped
1 1/2 c. milk chocolate chips
1 1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 tbsp. butter (I added more b/c I had 2 tbsp. leftover from a stick and just threw it in)
1 1/2 c. rice krispies cereal


Mix brownies according to box directions (or make your favorite homemade recipe) and pour into a greased 9"x13" pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove and top with peanuts and chopped Reese's peanut butter cups, then bake for 4-6 more minutes. (Like I said, I didn't have the Reese's, so I used the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and put them in with the peanuts.)


Ready to go back in the oven!

While the brownies finish baking, melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter together. You can do this over a double boiler on the stove (that's what I did) or you can do it in the microwave (heat at 30 sec. intervals and stir well between each interval).
Time too melt...

Keep stirring until it gets smooth and creamy, like this!



Does anyone have a spoon?

Once the mixture is smooth, pour in the rice krispies and stir to combine. I had about 2 cups left in my box because I made Rice Krispie Treats recently, so I just dumped the whole box in. I figured it could only make it better.
 Fudgey, peanut buttery, crunchy goodness!

The brownies should be done by now (unless you couldn't contain yourself and had one before you poured this yummy mixture on top...it's okay...it happens!) Pour the melted mixture right on top of the brownies. It should look like this!


YUMMMMM!!!!

Make sure you refrigerate these for at least 2 hours after you make them. I know, I know. The word "torture" is probably coming out of your mouth right now, but it will be a nice reward for your patience, right? Trust me, it took every ounce of self-control to not dig into these while they were warm and melty! In fact, I stuck them in the freezer for 45 minutes instead, so I could cut down the waiting time. Now that I think about it, I should have just stuck these bad boys outside in Dallas' 19 degree weather! They would have chilled just as fast!

I hope y'all enjoy :) Try not to hate me when you end up eating the whole pan!

No comments:

Post a Comment